June 15, 2012

It all starts with a bead



 My studio is always crowded with staff I find all over (often used/thrown-out furniture and such).

This chair wasn`t too comfortable to seat on. I took it apart to use the wooden seat as base for mosaic and planned on using the metal part as a pot holder in the garden.


I first brush on a coat of white, water-based primer on the wood. When you work with transparent glass you want to maximize its original reflection. I find white background is best.

It then starts with a bead.

Placing the bead takes a back&forth play till it "sits right".
Once the first piece is glued, work around it begins and takes on its own life.


I usually find what I initially had in mind, will turn out very different as work progresses, colors added and the various materials form new ideas and (grout) paths between the pieces.




 




Almost done... 


Once the process of choosing, cutting, placing and gluing is done, I set the work aside for a while before grouting. Although the Weldbond glue dries fairly quickly, 
 I give it a few extra days to fully dry and harden.

End of a journey.

Finished, grouted and sealed. 














1 comment:

  1. Last night I was thinking about a mosaic project I've wanted to do for years and was wondering how you do the projects you do. Now today here is the answer! This is stunningly beautiful! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete